Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What I love about being a spinner

I got a package today.  I really needed this package today.  I'm so glad the postal worker stuffed this package into my mail slot today instead of giving me one of those little green slips that would have meant standing in line tomorrow morning on my way to work to pick up the package and then not be able to play with it because I was at work.  I like our postal worker.  She's really good about things like that.

Want to know what was in my package?  This was in my package:


And this was in my package:
If you thought that looks just like the fiber I spun for my Margaret Stove shawl, good eye.  It is.  Just in case I don't have enough to finish the shawl (you can never quite tell with lace weight yarn).

But my story is about this:
Frabjous Fibers Moulin Rouge-colored Blue-faced Leicester.  Can you see the shy little pink peeking out of the bottom and the flirty orange and the strong red holding it all together?  I think I'm going to like this fiber.  I've got here in front of me and this is what I love about being a spinner.

This fiber can be 4 ounces of whatever I want it to be.  It could be 4 ounces of fingering weight yarn - enough for a fab pair of socks.  Can you just imagine what wild things you could do with this sock yarn?  My feet get excited just thinking about it.

Or it could be 4 ounces of lace weight yarn for a really sassy stole or shawl.  (By the way, if you're writing the word "sassy" in a public place, be sure all the letters stay together.  It's not sassy for nothing.)

Or it could be 4 ounces of a focus yarn that could be used to spice up another yarn.  The spice of life, like.

The point here is, this fiber is like the world having it's oyster (and eating it, too).  Anything is possible.  I think I'm going to have to live with it a few days and listen closely to what it wants to be.  I have a feeling that if I don't pay attention to it, it could kick my sassy.  And nobody wants that.

No comments: