I was off from my day job last week. I had a whole list of things I wanted to accomplish during the week. Maybe you’ve guessed where I’m going with this.
I got absolutely nothing done that was on my list other than working on my Skrå-trøyer sweater. Now I did get quite a lot done on that and I did get quite a few other projects finished and things done. Unfortunately, none of them were on my list. I used to add things to my list after I’d done them so I could say they were on the list but I didn’t think in this case that that was quite in the spirit of the whole list thing.
One of the things I had on my list was to clear my desk and finish organizing the piles that were stacked on it. I have to be honest and say that after sitting at a desk on the computer for 8 hours a day, when I go home I usually have very little desire to sit at a desk or work on the computer.
But I was tired and couldn’t really get into any of my projects. Somehow projects seem to conspire and make sure that they all get to “thinking” points at the same time – not helpful when you are brain-challenged. You know how it is when it’s no longer just mindless knitting and you actually have to pay attention to the pattern.
I had a new Dr. Who audio book from Audible (David Tennant has such a great voice – and variety of voices - for this type of reading) so I got that playing and got right to it. Not only did I get my desk cleared and organized but I also hung 6 framed tambour projects. I had done a set of 4 tambour pictures using ecru colored tatting thread on a natural colored linen and then I’d done a set of 2 – one was a sort of free style and the other was a celtic knot pattern, both on a filmy fabric. I’ve had them laying around so I’m quite pleased to finally see them hanging.
One of the piles on my desk was a new tambour project that I’d gotten materials for a while ago and never started. I had the idea to do a purse using a silky brick red material and then over it I would layer a very filmy gold color material which would have a tambour design worked on it. To me it is a very Victorian combination of colors. I’m not sure exactly what shape it will be or whether it will be mounted over a frame but I’m fairly excited to see how it will come out. Anyway, I got the pattern drawn on the fabric and this morning before work I tried out a couple of different threads to see what I will use to work the design. I think I’m going to go with a yellow tatting thread as it blends nicely into the gold of the fabric but will still stand up against the darker underlayer. I also think it will allow me to do a finer stitch which is what I had originally envisioned for the project.
I’ll post pics as I get going.
Ah, it’s so nice to look over and see a clean desk and a new project just waiting to be worked. I left Rose in between time and space trying to find the Doctor so tonight I’ll have get the project started so the Doctor and Rose can get out of this predicament they’ve found themselves in!
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Monday, November 26, 2007
Just a quick post to show the finished Miser's Bag. I've got a number of ideas for variations and can't wait to finish them.
My main project now (apart from the Skrå-trøyer sweater) is a Shetland-style shawl in honor of my upcoming trip to my former homeland, Scotland. It's been 10 years since I've been there so I'm more than ready to get going. Alas, I'll have to wait until February. I know, I know, the potentially worst weather month but all the flight prices begin to rise in March for tourist season. There really is a smidge of method in all my madness. Not much, sometimes, but certainly some!