Monday, August 18, 2014

The Scottish in me

I've been doing some family research and it's been fascinating to discover where family lore holds up to proof and where not so much. 

I was always told that we were from "Scotch/Irish" stock, especially on my mother's side. I always attributed my lifelong curiosity about Scotland to those inner callings. When I first stepped off a plane in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1983 and immediately felt that I was where I belonged, that, too, I assumed was from that tie. 

It has also been interesting to find that my first ancestors (on both sides of my family) first came to the new world in the early 1700s and came to Texas in the early 1800s. It appears I come by that restless spirit honestly. 

It seems fitting that my first sweater project of the season be an Argyle pattern. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time and it's finally coming together. 
The back is going to be green with a single yellow diamond in the middle and there will be a mini-diamond gusset on both sides. 

I'll have to wait until I get there to decide on the pattern for the sleeves, depending on how much yarn I have of each color. I'm kind if thinking of incorporating a diamond lace pattern somewhere on the sleeves. Is that too much?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

New project or old?

I've been in my new house for almost exactly a year now. When I first moved in I started making curtains for my living room windows. They all have plantation shutters so all I needed were valances. I crocheted a couple and knit a couple (one still in progress) and I have the transom on the door yet to do. 

I've had some different ideas (including a brief thought of getting a new door) but here's where I think we're going. 

found 4 motifs in the Claire Burkhard book, 50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns that are attached by a joining into a patchwork project but I'll need to adapt it to fit the piece to the window. 
There are 4 different designs and they work up super quick. Here's my first block that only took about 4 hours or so. 

I may play with a crocheted border depending on how tired I get making blocks!!

There are 3 other designs that should all work up equally quickly. 

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Second time around

I so enjoyed the Schneeburger piece from the LACE program that I thought I'd try something new. I was looking through a bag of tatting cotton I picked up somewhere. Almost all of them were variegated colors but there were some corresponding solid colors. I thought it might be interesting to try a solid color on the outside with the running variegation for the flower petals. 
I think it gives an interesting effect although I think it might be nicer with a lighter color. 

From start to finish this project took about 4 hours. It would be a great option for a small gift (in a little frame) or on a gift card. 

You could even piece them together in a small doily. Hmmmm....so many ideas. 

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Step one down

I decided to make a little adaptation to the original pattern. I didn't want to do the embroidery in the outer band so I decided to not make that band quite so wide. 
Now I've finished the outside edge and am ready to start working out the bobbin lace pattern. 

How hard could it be?!

Friday, July 18, 2014

You may get there

But it may be a different place than you thought when you started. 

Don't know if you saw the crocheted doily pattern I found that I think started out as a bobbin lace pattern (on right). 
I'm in the process of making the crocheted version and am then planning on working out the bobbin lace version. Some of the elements I wasn't sure how to do them until I found this little doily that has the same sort of element along the outside (on left).  

I thought that would be good practice and got it all worked, tied off and off the pillow. 

And then I noticed something. 


For one pair of tallies, I attached them to the wrong center point and for 3, count them - 3 - of the talley pairs I somehow managed to completely miss the join altogether. I don't even know how you do that. 

There are only 8 middle joins in the whole dang thing and I managed to screw up 4 of them?!  Half of them. I messed up half of them!!

But I'm not worried because what I got out of it were 2 things. 

1.  The experience of learning how to do the outside portion - the original goal. 

and 

2.  A great display piece for teaching. People can so easily be intimidated but this is proof that even after 3 years of learning, I can still make mistakes a student never would have begun to make. 

So not where I thought I was going with this project bit I'll take it. 

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Finishing up

I've had a project on the pillow for close on 3 years, I think. I'm pretty temporally challenged but I think it must be quite 3 years. (www.knitnmore.blogspot.com/2011/09/bits-and-bobs.html)

The LACE group in Chicago started a yardage club. To gain membership of the club you have to complete 2 yards of a lace. When I started, it seemed like an impossible task but I chose an easy edging and started. Much to my surprise, it was working the pattern over and over that finally provided my AHA moment and the art of lacemaking started making sense to me. So I will be forever grateful for this little club. 

Oh, yeah, I finally finished!! 
I've actually worked it a few inches over now and it's still on the pillow because I may just want to make a little more of it. 

I've had some offers for it from some of the re-enactors in the area but I'm not sure in ready to part with it yet. 

Sunday, June 22, 2014

The race is run

Woohoo!  
I really like the way this came out and how quickly it worked up. 
And how it fills out the frame. And how I actually had enough thread for the project.