Thursday, January 28, 2010

You can always count on socks

I love knitting socks.  Plain socks, lacy socks, any socks.  I love knitting socks.  I love them because they're so easy to take with you anywhere, they're useful, they're pretty.  Just when you're discouraged because it seems like nothing is getting finished, not afghans or tablecloths or cotton spinning or lace spinning, they will allow themselves to be finished.

I'll get the pattern posted at some point but the down and dirty pattern is this:
I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine in an oatmeal color.  I cast on 64 stitches using US size 2 double pointed needles.  Do K2/P2 ribbing for 2.5 inches then start the pattern as follows:

Round 1: *K4, P1, K2, P1* repeat around.
Round 2: *Yarn over (yo), knit 2 together (K2tog), K2, P1, 2 stitch cable, P1* repeat around.
Round 3: Repeat round 1.
Round 4: *K1, yo, K2tog, K1, P1, 2 stitch cable, P1* repeat around
Round 5: Repeat round 1.
Round 6: *K2, yo, K2tog, P1, 2 stitch cable, P1* repeat around
Round 7: Repeat round 1.

Rounds 2-7 make up the stitch pattern.  Make the cuff as long as you want it to be - mine was 8 pattern repeats.  Work heel.  I worked 9 more repeats for the foot (17 repeats in total from top) but I've got a small foot.  I worked the toe decreases kniting the whole thing in stockinette.

If you've never worked a heel or toe, grab any pattern because it's basically the same for all of them.

I've spun the fiber of 109 seeds.  Here's a gratuitous shot of my cotton bobbin:

No comments: