Sunday, February 19, 2012

Moving along

Since I got one bobbin lace project under my belt, I decided to dive into another.  This one is an edging with footside, torchon ground, rose ground and a fan on the headside.  Doesn't that sound like I know what I'm talking about?!  Ha!  Actually, I read it in the book that I got the pattern out of. 

It took me the whole week to get the first little section at the beginning up to the corner.  I had almost the whole section done when I realized I'm made several glaring mistakes that I couldn't live with.  Actually, I probably would have lived with them had I not realized that I would be going all the way around and once I got to the end, it would have been ruined from the beginning.  So I worked that section several times over until I learned how to do the pattern, then I took it out almost to the beginning and started again.  Took me a week to get through all that but by Friday night, I was at the corner, had figured out how to turn the corner (read the instructions) and then Saturday I was on my way.

If you click on the photo, you can get a better view of the part without pins. 

I've learned how to go from one section to the next, how to replace bobbins as I work, how to recognize when I've made a mistake soon enough that it doesn't make me cry because I have to take out inches of work and how to "rip out."

This is going to make an edging of about 8" square and I've been trying to decide how I want to display it.  Some options are to sew it to a linen center piece, sew it to a piece of knitted or crocheted center piece, sew it to a linen or other center piece and mount it in square frame, do the frame thing and include a pair of bobbins in the frame for a little tableau, do the frame and bobbin thing without the center piece and hang the bobbins in the middle of the lace or something else.  I think I really like the frame idea if I don't screw it up somewhere along the line.  I don't really have a place for doilies to be out and displayed and that way, I could enjoy it all the time.

First I need to get it finished.  As you can see, I'm a little over a quarter of the way done but I've done all this from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.  If I just don't try to rush it, I think it should be okay.  I have to say that I've really enjoyed the brain power it's taken to understand the pattern and how to work it.  It's been quite a challenge!

No comments: