Monday, August 1, 2011

Lessons

I learned something interesting yesterday when I scored at a local antiques mall.  I found a vintage Weave-it (perfect condition with original instructions, needle, everything) and quite a few knitting books.  I had a lot of the books on the booth but I found something interesting.
It took me a minute to realize that, although this is the same baby and the same photo shoot, it's not the same photo.  You know how you look at something and know there's something odd but you just can't put your finger on it?  This book initially came out published by Bear Brand yarn.  Some really cute patterns.  But not too far on, Bear Brand must have been bought out by Bucilla because they published a revised version.  The original version was 50c and the revised was $1.25 - talk about inflation!  But it kept the same volume number and the publication date is the same on both - MCML (1950 if I remember my roman numerals).  It must have been a good seller for them to decide to re-publish it. 

I know I don't have the most extensive collection of vintage books but I have kept my eyes open through the years.  This is the first time I've seen this reworking of a publication although with all the merging, buying out and whatnot that went on with yarn companies in the 30s, 40s and 50s, it's not a complete shock.  Kind of fun to see.

I haven't looked closely enough at the patterns to see if they actually updated any of them but at first glance, it appears they only adapted the list of yarns and needles you can use for each pattern.

I did finally get my new doily ironed out, having decided I didn't really need to pin block it at this point:

Can't wait to start the next one.

No comments: