Saturday, August 9, 2008

State Fair

The Illinois State Fair kicked off this week and my work to get some things entered paid off.


I entered a few things in the Illinois State Fair this year and was very excited to win several categories. There were 2 things which won big. One was the Skrå-Trøyer (Danish) Sweater which won first place in both the Scandanavian section and the Sewing with Wool. It also won the purple champion rosette for the best garment and for best wool construction.

The other was the Miser’s Purse which won the blue ribbon for best crocheted purse and it won the purple rosette for best purse and the silver platter for best in the division. I liked it but I really didn’t expect this. I’m guessing part of the reason it won was because it was so unusual.


There were a couple of other things that placed. It was really difficult to get good photos in the cases so I've used my file photos.

A knitted doily - 3rd place (the other one didn’t get a look in):

A knitted purse (second place):

Another crocheted (reticule) purse - second place:

A baby outfit - second place:


They did a much better job this year of displaying all of the entries and there were some wonderful things entered in all of the categories. I was amazed at some of the stuff. But I have to say, the cutest thing in the whole show, for my money was a wall hanging that didn't even place in it's category. It was a quilted wall hanging of an underwater scene and it was so cute that I had to go back and look at it 3 times!


The shame was that, the way it was hung, you can barely see one of the cutest aspects (see the little frog's leg?):


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know you worled really hard on the sweater. I am going to try to go by and see everything this week.

Beverly said...

I would LOVE to work on items for the fair next August. I didn't even know they did these things at state fairs until someone else i know placed at the minnesota state fair. Can you tell me how one goes about entering?