Sunday, March 16, 2008

Almost there

Only 2 milestones left to go on the old Skrå-trøyer sweater! Yeah, baby!!

I’ve finished one sleeve and finished the neck facing. All I have left is to do the other sleeve and finish the neck with the twinned knitting and I will have an official replica of the sweater living in the Kalundborg Museum in Denmark. For the cuff of the sleeve I used a Colinette fingering weight yarn in a soft variegated colorway. It worked great for this as it’s very tightly spun and very rounded. Sorry, I lost the tag with the name of the colorway on it but I’m definitely digging the way it sort of grays up next to the black and white. That’s really what I wanted much more than a punch of color on the cuffs and collar.

This was the second go at a sleeve. The sleeve I previously wrote about, alas, didn’t make the grade in the end. I told the ladies at knit night that I wasn’t going to rip it out so when I showed up at Guild with the new sleeve one of them said, “I thought you said you weren’t going to rip it out.” I didn’t rip it out, I started over!

But now I’m happy with the sleeve and how it worked. I wasn’t sure exactly how many stitches I needed to end up with for the sleeve to fit the hole (see previous entries about math) but I ended up with it being exactly the perfect size. Don’t you love it when that happens?!

Here are some pics. Yes, that’s a long ruler shoved through the back so I could show the details of the sleeve. I did manage to tack the right side sleeve to the left side of the sweater but it didn’t really matter for the purposes of these pictures and it is just tacked, after all, so nothing to worry about. I also have the seam section placed too high on the armhole but that will all be fixed when I get the sleeve sewn in at the end.

Since I’m a woman of hope, I’m going to say that the second sleeve is going to look exactly like the first except the overlap is going to be reversed as it should be. Ha! We’ll see when we get there. I’m also going to try to get the finished pieces blocked this weekend because that will make a lot of difference to how it looks and how it drapes. I will have to face the facts, however, that material this dense is not going to be doing a whole heck of a lot of draping. But blocking will make a difference.

I have loved this process but I have to admit I’m getting a little tired of it. I can, at least, however, see the end of the tunnel…and there’s a Danish rainbow at the end!!

No comments: