Saturday, December 5, 2015

Memories

I'm going to a pot luck later and so I made this.
It's called Watergate Salad, presumably because it was served at the Watergate Hotel. I can't think of anything political about it. 

Anyway, I digress. My Grannie used to be one of the cooks at the Brownwood Hospital and in her day, people came to the hospital to eat (especially her hamburgers) even if they didn't have anyone there to visit. She made every type of jello salad there was and this is one of the ones I remember her for. 

It's dead easy. 
1 20oz can of crushed pineapple (her recipe said a #2 can)
1 package of pistachio instant pudding
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup thawed whipped cream (like cool whip)
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix everything together and chill. 

As I was mixing the pineapple and pudding mix, I had one of those scent memories and I was back in her kitchen watching her cook and having a good old natter. It was such a joyful memory that I wasn't expecting. 

Here's to my Grannie!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a spatula or two to lick.  Emmmm…clean. Wash.   

No comments: