Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back in time

I bought something this week.  I love Ravelry but I have very little time to spend there.  So imagine my surprise when I poked into the bobbin lace group and saw a posting for a roller pillow for sale.  I'm feeling good about the bobbin lace thing so I thought it needed to come home with me.  It came on Thursday and Thursday night I got a new project started on it.
 This is a pattern containing leaf talleys and braids with picots.  All were new things to me so I wasn't quite sure how it would go but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be.  I did have a little trouble with the leaf tally until I watched this video on YouTube.  I am working on the same type of bobbins as she is and this style seems to work okay.  I'm still trying to get the hang of work them consistently but it's going okay so far. 
 I've got the hang of the picot from the instructions in the Doris Southard book that I got this pattern from.  This thread (DMC perle cotton #12) is a little thick for the pattern but I think it gives it a nice midieval look. 
I've already got about 7 inches or so.  I'm trying to think how best to use it in a project.  I've got a beautiful empire dress pattern that I can adapt to a top (since I don't wear many dresses) which has an insert like this around the bodice.  I think that would be fun but it will have to be longer than 7 inches!
I have also made some progress on the extra yarn I need to finish my bohus sweater.  Hopefully I can get this plied and washed tonight so I can get the sweater finished.

No comments: