Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ode to My Mittens

Oh, Mittens, so warm and snug
Who, though not as I thought I wanted,
Have proved your worth.

Oh, Mittens, knit from the yarn
Spun from the wool
On my spindle so fair and so true.

Yarn that betrayed me by
Running when washed only
After the stitches all had been made.

I was ready to send you
To the closet that would have
Been a sentence of invisibility.

Oh, Mittens, who hold back
The wind and the cold
No matter how cold and how strong.

No matter if snow must be shoveled
Or windscreen scraped clean
Nothing can penetrate you.

I sing your worth and your strength
And your warmth.
Thank you, faithful Mittens.
Surprising Mittens.
Worthy Mittens.

1 comment:

Ann in the UP said...

Thanks for the "free pattern site". I've been longing to make two color mittens and I love the ones pictured here, too. I'm sure they are warm as toast.
I hope your shoveling days are about done for this season!