Sunday, August 2, 2009

JACKPOT!

I went out on Saturday to visit a used bookstore in a neighboring small town (Books on the Square in Virden) and had a blast digging through all the wonderful books. I found several that I can't wait to read. On my way home, I decided to take a different route which led me past an antique mall so, as you do, I pulled in to have a look. In one of the first stalls I looked in I found a stash of 17 vintage magazines, 15 of them Needlecraft magazines - all of them ones I didn't have and all of them priced between 50 cents and $2. It was like Christmas! I've just had a marvelous weekend digging through them.

I started working through my magazines focusing on the ads for knitting supplies and here are a few of them from a 1910, 1911 and 1913 Modern Priscilla:


One of the things I've enjoyed is seeing how many of the articles advertised in these publications are products we still use today. Here are some from the 1910 issue:
Ivory Soap
Quaker Oats
Vaseline
Elgin Watches
Colgate
Cream of Wheat
Corn Pops

No comments: