Thursday, July 9, 2009

Physics of wool

Woohoo! I’m done! I’m really done. I’m really actually done. But I have a few comments.

How is it that I weighed out my 8 ounces of fiber as I split it into 2 4-oz bunches but when I spun them up, one bobbin was finished and the other wasn't. Like this:


I solved the problem, by the way, by using the Andean-ply method but believe me, it was a significant difference.

It’s been really hard to get a picture that shows the colors but you get a little of the idea here.


It’s not really lace weight but it’s definitely a light fingering weight so I don’t think that went too badly. The yardage was not quite up to the 1,000 yards I was hoping for but it was about 975 yards so I’m definitely happy about that. 975 yards.

Now, of course, the question is, what to do with it. You know what I’m thinking? I’m kind of thinking of a lacy poncho. I’ve got triangular shawls and rectangular shawls but how about a circular(ish) shawl? I’m thinking really open pattern on size 6 needles or so. The only issue will be that there will definitely not be any running to the store to buy an extra skein of yarn, although I think I could probably find a solid roving that would go with this but I’ll need something that I can work until I run out and then be happy.

No comments: