Thursday, May 29, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame...

St Louis has some wonderful yarn shops. Multiple wonderful yarn shops. Yesterday was Stitch and Pitch day at the St Louis Cardinals baseball game so several of us took the day to shop, knit and watch baseball. It was my first trip to a major league game and, although it wasn’t what I expected, I still enjoyed it a lot. It brought back some lovely memories of all the hours I spent with my grandfather watching Atlanta Braves baseball when I was in high school. We watched every game that we could and I loved that time spent with him. It reminded me how much I enjoy baseball.



Of course, the biggest event of the day was the shopping! And shopping means yarn shops.
Kirkwood Knittery and Knitorious were the main stops on the tours and we all were all pretty good because both shops did have stock remaining after we left. Both of them. How’s that for being good!

My main purchases were at Kirkwood where I got 3 types of yarn that I’ve been anxious to try since last August when I saw them at Stitches. They’re all 3 from
Habu, a Japanese yarn manufacturer with the most unique yarns imaginable. All 3 yarns are ultra thin – almost like thread – small thread. One of them is silk, one merino and one wool stainless steel! Yes, the yarn is actually made from 75% wool and 25% stainless steel. They also have paper yarns and copper yarns and all sorts of other weird and wonderful things. I’ve got a few ideas on what I’m going to do with them so watch this space.

Here’s view of the Habu wool stainless steel, the size 10 crochet cotton, lace weight yarn and fingering weight yarn just to give you an idea of scale.

No comments: