Monday, March 3, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggity jig

Well, it had to be really, didn't it.

Just a quick post to say I'm home after about 2,000 miles driving and 10,000 miles flying. I didn't wreck the car (driving on the other side of the road with a stick shift car) but, as I feared, now I feel very uneasy driving in the US. This happened to me before. When I first began driving in the UK it all felt very natural and easy (other than trying to roll down the window instead of shifting gears a few times - other side, other hand for shifting - ha!). When I had problems was when I came back to the US. It all feels very strange but I suspect it will clear up before long.

I ended up going to these places - more detail later.

I flew into London and drove (albeit the unintended scenic route) to Bath.
From Bath I went to a little village right outside Cardiff.
Spent a couple of hours in Cardiff city center before heading north.
Stayed a night in Blackpool.
Arrived in West Kilbride (Seamill)
Went across (in gale force winds) to St Andrews and then to Perth
Spent the weekend in Glasgow
A day in Paisley
Made my way south to York via the Yorkshire Moors
Then to London to turn the car in, wander in London and rest a bit before my 22 hour travel day.
Back to Springfield from Chicago.

It was a wonderful trip made up of catching up with special friends and seeing places I'd never seen before and remembering why I love the UK so much. Two years and unlimited resources. That's what I reckon it would take to do everything I want to do and see everything and everyone I want to see. So when my ship comes in, I'll be sure to let you know!

I'll try to post some pictures later to give you a taste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back home. Will you be at the guild meeting Sunday to regale us with tales of your grand adventure?? I can't wait to hear more!