Monday, February 4, 2008

A Watch on Your Finger

Sometime before Christmas I was at a local Antique Mall and saw a watch mounted on a ring – something I’d never see before – and, of course, I was intrigued. The ring part, as best I can remember, was a beaded band and the tag on the watch said it was early 20th century. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. I had several watch faces in my bead stash.

By the way, is it stash if it’s not fiber? Is it like a covey of dove or a knot of toads (really, it’s called a knot of toads – I don’t know why that amuses me but it does) or a crash of rhinoceroses or is it all just stash? Enquiring minds want to know.

Anyway, before I interrupted myself I was at watch faces. I have several but most of them were too large, I thought, to work with. My hands are really small so it may be different for others with normal size hands. Every once in a while I found myself sort of musing about what I would do to make a watch ring but wasn’t coming up with much inspiration. So last night I put on a favorite Campion dvd (Peter Davison, also known as the 5th Doctor in the Doctor Who series and Tristan Farnon in All Things Great and Small – one of my favorite actors) and sat down to put something together.

I wasn’t really set on doing some final something, I just wanted to know what I was working with and what the challenges might be to wearing a watch on my finger. This is what I came up with:



I’m one of those people who really hates to have anything on my wrists. Don’t know why, I just do. I push up my sleeves and resist wearing a wrist watch. With this in mind, I wore the ring watch all day and I have to admit to all and sundry that I LOVE it. I love having the time, not quite at my fingertips but in the general vicinity, and not having anything on my wrist. Plus I think, especially with a watch face that’s a wee bit smaller, it could look very cool. (Take into consideration my cool-o-meter and make your own judgment.) I really, really, really like it. Of course, I didn’t really do any special kind of look with the beading, the goal was just to have something to try out. But I think it’s definitely worth exploring.

Have any of you ever seen a watch ring? If so, what did it look like and what do you think about the idea?

In case you're interested, I found this:

ants: colony
bears: sleuth, sloth
bees: grist, hive, swarm
birds: flight, volery
cats: clutter, clowder
cattle: drove
chicks: brood, clutch
clams: bed
cranes: sedge, seige
crows: murder
doves: dule
ducks: brace, team
elephants: herd
elks: gang
finches: charm
fish: school, shoal, draught
foxes: leash, skulk
geese: flock, gaggle, skein
gnats: cloud, horde
goats: trip
gorillas: band
hares: down, husk
hawks: cast
hens: brood
hogs: drift
horses: pair, team
hounds: cry, mute, pack
kangaroos: troop
kittens: kindle, litter
larks: exaltation
lions: pride
locusts: plague
magpies: tiding
mules: span
nightingales: watch
oxen: yoke
oysters: bed
parrots: company
partridges: covey
peacocks: muster, ostentation
pheasants: nest, bouquet
pigs: litter
ponies: string
quail: bevy, covey
rabbits: nest
seals: pod
sheep: drove, flock
sparrows: host
storks: mustering
swans: bevy, wedge
swine: sounder
toads: knot
turkeys: rafter
turtles: bale
vipers: nest
whales: gam, pod
wolves: pack, route
woodcocks: fall

Never know when you'll need it for your crossword puzzle. Don't say I never gave you anything.

No comments: